This list is for men who are in Anglican ministry or who are interested in ministry, for self-study and aid in ministering to the flock. It is not exhaustive, nor is it a replacement for seminary.
Last updated February 23, 2023. | For best printing format, click here.
- Null, Ashley and John Yates, III, editors. Reformation Anglicanism: A Vision for Today’s Global Communion. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2017.
- Packer, J. I. The Heritage of Anglican Theology. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2021.
- Zahl, Paul F. M. The Protestant Face of Anglicanism. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1997.
- Ryle, J. C. Expository Thoughts on the Gospels. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2012. [online text | ebook]
- Croft, Brian. Biblical Church Revitalization: Solutions for Dying & Divided Churches. Tain, UK: Christian Focus, 2016.
- Wilson, Jared C. The Prodigal Church: A Gentle Manifesto Against the Status Quo. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2015.
Discerning a Call to Ordained Ministry
- Allen, Jason K. Discerning Your Call to Ministry. Chicago: Moody, 2016.
- Harman, Allan. Preparation for Ministry. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2015.
- Mohler, Al et al. The Call to Ministry. Louisville, KY: SBTS Press, 2013.
- Bray, Gerald, editor. The Books of Homilies: A Critical Edition. Cambridge: James Clarke & Co., 2015.
- Bray, Gerald. The Faith We Confess: An Exposition of the Thirty-nine Articles. London: Latimer Trust, 2009.
- Packer, J. I. Affirming the Apostles’ Creed. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008.
- Packer, J. I. Concise Theology. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House, 1993.
- Stott, John. Basic Christianity. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2006.
- Stott, John and Alec Motyer. The Anglican Evangelical Doctrine of Infant Baptism. London: Latimer Trust, 2008.
- Thomas, W. H. Griffith. The Principles of Theology: An Introduction to the Thirty-Nine Articles. London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1930.
- Burkhill, Mark. “Better Bishops,” Church Society. [online text]
- Benn, Wallace. “Evangelical Episcopacy.” In Positively Anglican: Building on the Foundations and Transforming the Church, edited by Lee Gatiss, 43-53. London: Lost Coin Books, 2016.
- Benn, Wallace. “Ussher on Bishops: A Reforming Ecclesiology.” In Preachers, Pastors, and Ambassadors: Puritan Wisdom for Today’s Church, edited by Lee Gatiss, 98-121. London: Latimer Trust, 2011.
- Cummins, George D. “Primitive Episcopacy: A Return to the ‘Old Paths’ of Scripture and the Early Church.” Sermon, Consecration of the Rev. Charles Edward Cheney, Chicago, IL, December 17, 1873. [online text]
- Gatiss, Lee. “Evangelicals and Their Bishops: The Role of Bishops and How We Should Relate to Them.” Brief, Church Society Regional Conferences, February 2020. [online text]
- Girdlestone, R. B., H. C. G. Moule, and T. W. Drury. English Church Teaching. London: Charles Murray, 1898. 178-190. [online text]
- Holloway, David. “The Reform of the Episcopate and Alternative Episcopal Oversight,” Church Society. [online text]
- Hunkin, J. W. “The Anglican Pattern of Episcopacy.” The Churchman 62, no. 2 (1948): 89-94. [online text]
- Lightfoot, J. B. The Christian Ministry. Wilton, CT: Morehouse, 1983. [online text, an abridgement]
- Ussher, James. “The Original of Bishops and Metropolitans.” In The Whole Works of the Most Rev. James Ussher, vol. VII, edited by Charles Erlington, 43-71. Dublin: Hodges, Smith, & Co., 1864. [online text]
- Cross, F. L. and E. A. Livingstone, editors. The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, 3rd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Ryle, J. C. Five English Reformers. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1991.
- Atherstone, Andrew. The Anglican Ordinal. London: Latimer Trust, 2020.
- Atkinson, Nigel. “Ordination in the Church of England.” In Feed My Sheep: The Anglican Ministry of Word and Sacrament, edited by Lee Gatiss, 51–69. London: Lost Coin Books, 2016.
- Baxter, Richard. Pastoral Ministry (abridged). Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2010.
- Beckwith, Roger. Elders in Every City. Carlisle, UK: Paternoster Press, 2003.
- White, William. “On the Qualifications, the Authorities, and the Duties of the Gospel Ministry.” Sermon, Consecration of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Parker of Massachusetts, New York, September 14, 1804. [online text]
- Wycliffe, John. Being a Pastor. Translated and edited by Benjamin L. Fischer. Leesburg, VA: Davenant Press, 2021.
- Begg, Alistair. Preaching for God’s Glory. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 1999.
- McIlvaine, Charles P. Preaching Christ: The Heart of Gospel Ministry. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2003. [online text]
- Pace, R. Scott. Preaching by the Book: Developing and Delivering Text-Driven Sermons. Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2018.
- Ryle, J. C. Simplicity in Preaching. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2010. [Chapter 3 from The Upper Room: online text]
- Bailey, Henry Ives. The Liturgy Compared with the Bible. London: SPCK, 1840. [online text]
- Davie, Martin. Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi: Liturgy, Doctrine and Scripture in History and Today. London: Latimer Trust, 2019.
- Ryle, J. C. Worship: Its Priority, Principles, and Practice. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2005. [Chapter 13 from Knots Untied: online text]