This reading list is intended for those in Anglican ministry, for self study or for use in ministering to the flock. It is not a replacement for a serious seminary program.
This work in progress should be substantially completed in 2021, with occasional future edits.
- Bray, Gerald. Anglicanism: A Reformed Catholic Tradition. Bellingham, Washington: Lexham Press, 2021.
Discerning a Call to Ordained Ministry
- Allen, Jason K. Discerning Your Call to Ministry. Chicago: Moody, 2016.
- Harman, Allan. Preparation for Ministry. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2015.
- Mohler, Al et al. The Call to Ministry. Louisville: SBTS Press, 2013.
- Bray, Gerald, editor. The Books of Homilies: A Critical Edition. Cambridge: James Clarke & Co., 2015.
- Bray, Gerald. The Faith we Confess: An Exposition Of The Thirty-Nine Articles. London: The Latimer Trust, 2009.
- Packer, J. I. Affirming the Apostles’ Creed. Wheaton: Crossway, 2008.
- Packer, J. I. Concise Theology. Carol Stream, Illinois: Tyndale House, 1993.
- Stott, John. Basic Christianity. Downers Grove, Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2006.
- Thomas, W. H. Griffith. The Principles of Theology: An Introduction to the Thirty-Nine Articles. London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1930.
- Burkhill, Mark. “Better Bishops,” Church Society. [online text]
- Benn, Wallace. “Evangelical Episcopacy.” In Positively Anglican: Building on the Foundations and Transforming the Church, edited by Lee Gatiss, 43-53. London: Lost Coin Books, 2016.
- Benn, Wallace. “Ussher on Bishops: A Reforming Ecclesiology.” In Preachers, Pastors, and Ambassadors: Puritan Wisdom for Today’s Church, edited by Lee Gatiss, 98-121. London: The Latimer Trust, 2011.
- Cummins, George D. “Primitive Episcopacy: A Return to the ‘Old Paths’ of Scripture and the Early Church.” Sermon, Consecration of the Rev. Charles Edward Cheney, Chicago, Illinois, December 17, 1873. [online text]
- Gatiss, Lee. “Evangelicals and Their Bishops: The Role of Bishops and How We Should Relate to Them.” Brief, Church Society Regional Conferences, February 2020.
- Holloway, David. “The Reform of the Episcopate and Alternative Episcopal Oversight,” Church Society. [online text]
- Hunkin, J.W. “The Anglican Pattern of Episcopacy.” The Churchman 62, no. 2 (1948): 89-94. [online text]
- Ussher, James. “The Original of Bishops and Metropolitans.” In The Whole Works of the Most Rev. James Ussher, vol. VII, edited by Charles Erlington, 43-71. Dublin: Hodges, Smith, & Co., 1864. [online text]
- Atherstone, Andrew. The Anglican Ordinal. London: The Latimer Trust, 2020.
- Atkinson, Nigel. “Ordination in the Church of England.” In Feed My Sheep: the Anglican Ministry of Word and Sacrament, edited by Lee Gatiss, 51–69. London: Lost Coin Books, 2016.
- Baxter, Richard. Pastoral Ministry. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2010.
- Beckwith, Roger. Elders in Every City. Carlisle, U.K.: Paternoster Press, 2003.
- White, William. “On the Qualifications, the Authorities, and the Duties of the Gospel Ministry.” Sermon, Consecration of the Rt. Rev. Bishop Parker of Massachusetts, New York, September 14, 1804. [online text]
- Begg, Alistair. Preaching for God’s Glory. Wheaton: Crossway, 1999.
- McIlvaine, Charles P. Preaching Christ: The Heart of Gospel Ministry. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2003. [online text]
- Pace, R. Scott. Preaching by the Book: Developing and Delivering Text-Driven Sermons. Nashville: B&H Academic, 2018.
- Ryle, J.C. Simplicity in Preaching. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 2010. [online text]